TRUST – Trader Recycling Universal Standard – is the outcome of a coalition dedicated to boost standards within the recycling sector.
It has the backing of more than 2,500 charity shops across the United Kingdom, and was formed in 2019 from representatives of the Charity Retail Association, Textile Recycling Association, charity retail chains, academics, waste reduction charities, textile recyclers, and input from the Environment Agency, the WISH (Waste Industry Safety and Health)
TRUST certification lasts two years from inspection. Applicants must pass a comprehensive series of tests across five categories. Raise a Concern policy and procedures are in place should any certified business fall below standard. The fees recyclers pay to acquire this status will administer the scheme, which is non-profit making.
The TRUST standard consists of a comprehensive series of tests across five categories:
- Professional and Business: Checking that everything the business does is compliant with the law and transparent
- Health and Safety: Ensuring that sound policies exist to prevent accidents and take appropriate action to protect staff when incidents occur
- Working Conditions: Requiring that all workers are treated properly and in full accordance with their rights
- Environment: Promoting the best sustainability and environmental standards
- Transport: Compliance with industry regulations with regard to: vehicle maintenance and drivers requirements, ensuring a safer transport environment
Recyclers will have to demonstrate they meet this standard by completing an application form, uploading documentation and then submitting to an inspection by an independent auditor.
TRUST has process and decision points throughout a merchant’s application, which are reviewed by a panel of representatives of the Forum before going for final decision with the Forum
Learn more https://www.trustmerchants.org.uk/